Thursday, July 31, 2008

The rain came tumbling down...

I can't remember how many days it has been raining!! Seems like weeks on end - although I think we did have one or two days in the middle somewhere when there might actually have been some sunshine!
The weather must be mirroring my mood - either that or all the farmers who are lambing right now (crazy people) are praying it doesn't snow so we are geting rain instead!
Ever since Phill left for England I think it has rained nearly every day...this doesn't help lift my spirits at all. In fact I hate it when its like this - constant drizzle and greyness and general sogginess everywhere. Yuck, yuck and double yuck!
The new extension is being useful as a space for getting washing dry on the clothes airers, but it is also providing another problem in that there is no spouting around the new roof and all this rain is simply falling off the edge onto the grass which is getting muddier by the minute and the water level is rising to above ankle deep in places.
Have a look at this!...


Thank goodness the guineapigs are on higher ground..and I mean much higher. Their winter quarters are positioned in their little cage on our picnic table! Not ideal but at least they are keeping mostly dry! Poor wee things.


This is the water streaming through the back gate up the footpath round the front of the house. Definitely gumboots only! At the deepest point it reaches my ankles!

And this is the back garden! The only thing high and dry is the barbecue, standing proud on it's newly poured concrete pad made with the left over concrete from the extension! The timber is dry on the top but not on the bottom!!! Oh well - what can you do...

So we are staying indoors which drives Caitlin crazy as she loves playing outside, but which Charlie (our cat) is loving as he lazes out on the chairs by the fire for the whole day!!!
Oh to be a spoilt puss!

If it keeps raining like this we might get to evacuation point again - it flooded really badly in Mosgiel about two years ago - but I'm hoping the long range forecast is WRONG!!!!
"I can't stand the rain outside my window..."

3 comments:

Heather said...

Ok as fun as it is to see your backyard, that is ALOT of water!! I hope you are all staying dry! Good Luck!!

Angela said...

"Winter quarters"...hahaha

bubby69 said...

That's ok my goldfish died because there was too much rain but that's alot of water baby